Skip to main content

Ramblin' Man (or Woman as the Case may be)

 Here's a little ramble of things we've been up to:


We introduced Sawyer to the bottle around 4 weeks because we'd read that they take it the easiest between 4-6 weeks. Carey gave it to him in a different room while I sat on pins and needles. He took it like a champ with no issues, which then (of course) made me teary because he didn't "need" me to feed him. Until Carey left, he gave Sawyer the first night time bottle so that we were each getting at least one 4-6 hour chunk of sleep. Sawyer hasn't had a bottle since he left. I start back to work in a week and have been pumping like crazy to store up milk so that we have it for his caregivers but I am a bit nervous about attempting another bottle since it's been so long. It's so much easier and helpful for me to nurse him and it's time that I have with him that no one else does. But I definitely don't want him to have issues without me. Anyone want to come give him a bottle?


Once or twice a week (depending on the class) I have to sign in and "attend" a live class lecture for my graduate program. It involves participating via a chat window or keying in via a microphone. Carey was always in charge of Sawyer during this time. Now that I am flying solo we've had to adjust a bit. Sawyer seems to be the most tired (and have the most trouble falling asleep) on the nights that I have class. Luckily my professors have been good about letting me present first or type in my comments to the lecture but Monday I had to give a project update while Sawyer was screaming in the background. Apparently we aren't so successful at multitasking. At least my headphone somewhat cancel background noise. 


We've been doing more tummy time lately. Sawyer used to immediately scream when you put him on his belly but thanks to a suggestion from my sister, we've been trying it on the boppy and it is going much more smoothly. He enjoys looking at whatever toys I've set up and will be happy for at least 5 minutes (which is pretty good at this point). We will continue to try it various ways to build his neck and back muscles and give him some other ways to explore the world. 


Oh the sleeping. Sawyer started sort of getting on a schedule but then right as I figured it out he changed. Currently he still sleeps in our room in a rock 'n play which is sort of a rocker/bassinet. He seems to still have trouble choking on his spit which made us wary of laying him flat. Since he does love his mobile we still put him in the crib while he's awake. This particular day, he was a little tired and I was trying to get just a few things done before I put him down. I looked over and he'd fallen asleep in the crib. He lasted for about 20 minutes but then was up. But hey, it's a start right? Eventually we'd like him doing all his sleeping in it. Baby Steps. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All (S)He Wants to Do is Dance

Sawyer has shown an interest in music and dancing and gets really excited when one or the other is happening. Our friend Derrell (after whom Sawyer is named) was over the other night and they were dancing on the changing table. I only caught the tail end on video but the way he's laughing at the beginning of the video was the way he was squealing for a good 5 minutes. It was so cute to watch.

In the Army now

When Carey graduated from Basic Combat Training at Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC, Sawyer and I drop down to see him. We were able to spend the day before graduation on post with him and then we stayed in a hotel that night and went back for graduation the next day. I didn't get too many pictures as we were trying to soak up as much time with Carey as possible. However a kind couple next to me held Sawyer while I got some pictures of the opening ceremony. FAMILY DAY The soldiers were hiding out in the forest on the far side and all of the sudden there were several loud booms and smoke and they all came running over through the smoke. After the opening ceremony they were released to the families. We spent the day seeing the base and spending time with Sawyer.  Sawyer getting some wiggle time while we ate a picnic lunch Crashed out in the hotel room after a long day. He slept through my entire morning routine GRADUATION DAY All d

Hot Fun In the Summertime

I am the co-chair of the parenting committee in our neighborhood (see previous post about over-functioning). We had some funds leftover from our Easter Egg Hunt Social and thought it would be fun to do a pool/pizza party playdate one evening. So last night about 20 families came up to the pool for an afternoon. It was great fun. There were kids from 4 weeks up to 6 years old. It truly takes a village. Kids had no problem coming up to random parents asking for things. Oscar got squished by many mamas and I fed more than one kid who wasn't mine. :) As much as I complain about how "suburban" our neighborhood truly is one of a kind. I managed to get in a short walk yesterday and some work done. I still haven't gotten everything on my to-do list taken care of, but I am trying to be happy about small accomplishments. A friend of a friend is making a new dining table for us. He and his wife came over last night to show us samples of wood stain. We decided on one