Skip to main content

Free and Easy Down the Road I Go

Yesterday, we drove to Charlotte. Since we've moved to Atlanta we've gone back to Charlotte for three of the last four Fourth of July holidays. Carey was supposed to come with us this time, but he got a subpoena for the 5th and wasn't able to make it. Admittedly, I was incredibly nervous about making a 250 miles drive with Sawyer and Oscar by myself. But, it turned out actually to be a really easy trip. Yes, it took almost 5 hours instead of 4. Since I'd fed Oscar right before we left and he'd been up and playing for an hour and a half, he fell asleep before we'd even made it to the highway. I brought our portable DVD player and let Sawyer watch a movie for the first half of the trip. He was quiet, Oscar was sleeping, and I got to talk to my friend Jarrod for an hour and a half. He lives in San Diego and was able to spend the early morning drinking coffee and chatting with me while I drove. Shockingly, we didn't encounter any traffic so I drove until we hit Gaffney. We topped off gas and grabbed some lunch. I changed and fed Oscar and we were back on the road. We made it to Derrell and Lindsay's house in 4 hours and 50 minutes.

I needed more steps for the day and Sawyer needed to burn some energy out so we took a walk on the greenway. Derrell and Lindsay have an entrance in their neighborhood and we did about 2 miles with both boys. Dinner was curried chicken that Lindsay had in the crockpot. Sawyer went to bed easily, but got up twice last night. Oscar had a little harder of a time going to bed. We are still working on the concept of self-soothing. He's getting better though! He got up twice but didn't scream bloody murder while I changed him, just ate and went to sleep.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends are Family

We had a wonderful visit in Charlotte. It went by way too fast as usual but was lots of fun. We walked on the greenway close to Derrell and Lindsay's (rental) house, went to see their new house that they are buying, had a cookout with the Clark family, had brunch with our friends Steve and Darcy and their baby, Chloe, and Sawyer got to go see Derrell's work truck. Pictures below!

Fun, Fun, Fun

I apologize for the bad resolution of the pictures, but sometimes my phone is more handy than the camera. We've been working hard on tummy time and Sawyer's muscle control. He's been wiggling like crazy. Most days he only lasts 2-3 minutes on his belly but this particular day he was having a grand time. He's really holding his head up well! Airplane Baby

Rollin'

It's finally the weekend. Although these days, I think the weekends are as exhausting as the week days. I have both boys all day and we've somehow managed to pack the days full. Last night we were able to play outside for a little bit before dinner. Sawyer is getting pretty good with this toy that our friends the Flaggs gave us. I don't even know what it's called but you roll around on it. He really wanted to play yard hockey but Oscar wouldn't sleep or lay on a blanket, he just wanted to nurse and be held. Initially Sawyer did really well with the fact that the baby needed so much. I don't know if it is because Carey is gone or because it's been two months, but Sawyer seems to have less and less patience with me and Oscar. I have to keep reminding myself that he is four. And when you are tired, hungry, and four, patience is not a strong suit. Then again, when you are tired, hungry and thirty-four, patience isn't much of a strong suit either. :) ...