Skip to main content

Milk, It Does a Body Good...

...or not. Sawyer's disposition in the first two weeks was easy going. He really only cried when getting his diaper changed. This kid does not like to be naked for sure! However, in the past week and a half he's become increasingly fussy and gassy. We initially thought it was due to a shallow latch and he was getting too much air while breast feeding. After a desperate trip to a La Leche League meeting (which was amazingly helpful), we think we have that problem worked out. However, the fussy/gassy didn't go away. So we started going down a list. Currently all signs point to a sensitivity to some sort of food that I am eating. So we've started an elimination diet. I am currently off all dairy and coffee/caffeine. As cold as it's been, I am really missing my coffee/chai in the mornings and afternoons. But most studies show that milk/dairy is the biggest cause of sensitivities in breast milk and 1 in 3 "colicky babies" merely have a dairy sensitivity. So far we haven't seen an improvement, but most of the literature I've read says that it can take 2-3 weeks and we are still on week one.



In other news this baby is growing. Sawyer was 8lbs even at birth and only lost 5oz in the days afterwards. Within his first week he was back up to birth weight. At 2 weeks he was 8lbs 7oz and is now over 9lbs. He has been nursing constantly this week. When I say constantly, I mean, he takes 10-15 min breaks between nursing, FOR HOURS. We saw a pediatrician for his first check up this past week and she said that most babies gain 0.5-1.0 oz in weight per day. Sawyer gained almost 13oz in the past 7 days. So he is definitely going through a growth spurt!

Comments

  1. My sister was allergic to cow milk (I think she got nasty rashes and hives) when she was little, so my parents got some goats... but she got over it sometime around age 5.
    But her second kid (human!) is SEVERELY allergic to cow milk, and she's 3.5 and her reaction from birth has been much worse than Rebekah's, so they just got goats.
    My family has a strange response to things.
    But good luck; I have an idea from listening to Rebekah just how hard it is to go off of a major food group, and she was lucky in being nearly certain it was dairy the second Quinn started reacting as an infant.
    Also, yay blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friends are Family

We had a wonderful visit in Charlotte. It went by way too fast as usual but was lots of fun. We walked on the greenway close to Derrell and Lindsay's (rental) house, went to see their new house that they are buying, had a cookout with the Clark family, had brunch with our friends Steve and Darcy and their baby, Chloe, and Sawyer got to go see Derrell's work truck. Pictures below!

Fun, Fun, Fun

I apologize for the bad resolution of the pictures, but sometimes my phone is more handy than the camera. We've been working hard on tummy time and Sawyer's muscle control. He's been wiggling like crazy. Most days he only lasts 2-3 minutes on his belly but this particular day he was having a grand time. He's really holding his head up well! Airplane Baby

Rollin'

It's finally the weekend. Although these days, I think the weekends are as exhausting as the week days. I have both boys all day and we've somehow managed to pack the days full. Last night we were able to play outside for a little bit before dinner. Sawyer is getting pretty good with this toy that our friends the Flaggs gave us. I don't even know what it's called but you roll around on it. He really wanted to play yard hockey but Oscar wouldn't sleep or lay on a blanket, he just wanted to nurse and be held. Initially Sawyer did really well with the fact that the baby needed so much. I don't know if it is because Carey is gone or because it's been two months, but Sawyer seems to have less and less patience with me and Oscar. I have to keep reminding myself that he is four. And when you are tired, hungry, and four, patience is not a strong suit. Then again, when you are tired, hungry and thirty-four, patience isn't much of a strong suit either. :) ...